SPOILER ALERT!

In a Dark Wood by Josh Lanyon

In a Dark Wood - Josh Lanyon

I wasn't sure what to expect of this. It was included in the "Arresting Developments" anthology and I assumed it would deal with ghosts or some supernatural being. Should have read the blurb.

Luckily (or maybe not) it had to do with a serial killer. In a deserted part of the forest. At sun down. Yup, it doesn't scarier than that. All the strange noises, the shadows playing tricks on the eye and our hero going through alcohol withdrawal. Tim definitely did not pick a good to stop drinking.

I really like the suspense building in the story. When Tim and Luke felt they were being watched the night before, things crunching out of sight, various tools and items lying around, leaving the reader to sort out their use and what level of threat they represented for the heroes.

I also liked that Tim admitted his recovery from drinking would be lengthy and he would be prone to relapse. That it wasn't just simply deciding not to drink.

(show spoiler)

I hope "The Parting Glass" tells us how things progress from this camping/serial killer pursuit.

3 stars because it was good but I didn't fall in love with the characters.