Life Lessons - Kaje Harper In the end, it was a good book. At first, I didn't think I would like it much, as the comments, the actions and feel of the characters seemed to be a bit off. But slowly, I was drawn into the story, coming to like Tony and Mac.

Tony was this kind man, brave enough to be an outed gay teacher and just sorting his way out of a bad break-up. Unfortunate enough to find himself in the wrong place at the wrong time, he witnessed a murder taking place, thus crossing his path with closeted detective MacLean. I liked Mac more, maybe because of the tough position he was in, having to hide his homosexuality from practically everyone just so he could keep his job and daughter. I can't say I agree with his solution... to have him and Tony hide their relationship but given their situation, the other options didn't look any better. The whole story gave off a vibe of nice guys trapped in one of life's ugly moments but managing to get their silver lining.

It was a nice story, mixing detective work with mystery, murder and a touch of romance. Just enough to keep the reader until the end and leaving them with a good feeling afterwards. Not an entirely HEA but working its way there.